how to make cute flip flops

21 June 2010

Happy first day of summer! My kids are throwing together a little party to celebrate,june 2010 004 1


but I promised a tutorial for the flip flops we made at my daughter’s birthday: 
 

These all started when I saw this top at Walmart. I didn’t buy it because it would look cute on me (let’s just say…it wouldn’t.)
june 2010 052 1

I got it ($3) because I wanted to cut it up and see how they made the flowers on it.
june 2010 062 The flowers were just circles of sheer fabric tied around a plastic circle disc. (The sideways view of the flower is in the top left)
So, since I had already cut up the shirt, I decided to try my own flower with the shirt fabric. It turned out to be a new discovery of how to make cute flip flops.june 2010 069
1. Buy your flip flops at Old Navy, Walmart, JoAnn Fabrics, or Michaels. These are the places I’ve seen them for $2 or less a pair.
2. Gather some fabric that is the same on both sides. I’m sure there is a technical sewing term for this, but I am too lazy to look it up or call a sewing friend. I’ve found that fabric with a little stretch in it works best. Something you might use to make….say….stretchy pants.
3. Trace a circle on your stretch fabric, fold it in half (you want 2 circles) and cut. This circle is from a pyrex lid, about the size of a medium size saucepan lid.june 2010 119
4. Place one of your circles like this on the flip flop:june 2010 120
5. Pull it up:
june 2010 122 6.Tie around the base. We used ordinary string, but I really think some stretchy bead wire or fishing line may work better (?) and fluff it out.june 2010 123 7. You’ll have three little poofs. Stretch the middle one up and cut it.
june 2010 125
It will now look like this:june 2010 128 It’s fine like this, but if you want some more poof, you just take your other circle and tie it around this one june 2010 131
fluff it out, and it will look like this:
june 2010 130 1
cute flip flops for everyone! These ones were cotton, they didn’t stretch as well, but they work.
For these type, just cut up some ribbon or fabric and double knot them around.
Go have some flip flop fun! If you have questions, ask away in the comments…

26 comments

  1. Super cute! I'm babysitting 4 kids this summer, and I think the older girls will really enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw those are such a cute idea!
    people wear flipflops year-round here in hawaii...
    this would make any little girls' feeties just that much cuter! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial, Melissa! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever! Those are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally adorable...my daughter would love this project. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another cute idea is to get wide band flops and punch two holes down towards the toe seperator and take some cute wide ribbon and run it throught the holes, tie a bow and you have a cute set of flops. Love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute, cute. I'm not a flip flop wearer, but boy do I have friends who are going to love this one! Thank you for the wonderful instructions.

    Now I want to go watch Nacho Libre!

    Love you, sweet girl--

    ReplyDelete
  9. REALLY cute! So clever and cheap. I think i'd wear them myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Gemma x

    http://musings-of-a-gem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are very cute! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just over from your guest post at Sandy's - your recipe there looks so yummy!

    I love this idea - so simple and great for scraps of stretch material. What would we do during summer without flip flops?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute and easy!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those, I'm going to have to try that sometime. Looks really easy and simple too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute idea!! My 6 yo daughter will LOVE these. I think I'll try it tonight. Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. L.O.V.E. the flowers!!! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute flip flops! I love those flowers. I bet you guys had a wonderful party!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. These were so adorable, we had to make them right away! I made ours with tulle instead of string, and let a little bit peek out. Super cute! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    You can see ours here:

    http://blackflipflops.blogspot.com/2010/06/ive-also-been-doing-teeny-bit-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are seriously adorable!! I'm going to have to make my daughter and I some this weekend! YAY! Fun project ahead! Thank you so much for sharing!!
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are adorable!!! I have a brown pair of flipflops sitting right next me...not gonna go look for a tshirt to cut up!!!LOL Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. your designs are cure and easy to follow. thnx hope you can share more ideas

    ReplyDelete
  21. melissa*320 sycamore1/8/14, 1:28 PM

    So cute! Thank you for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Im gonna make them with my lil' sister today she is 6 today her b-day is today yea and im 10 cute right

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have also used the ribbon but push it down tight around the middle and fluff it out to make a pom pom.  Also use water balloons to make the girls flip flops colorful.  My granddaughters, nieces and great nieces love these.  (sisters too)

    ReplyDelete
  24. melissa*320 sycamore1/16/14, 10:54 PM

    GREAT idea!! They would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bet you could use those tiny rubber bands (hair elastics?)  instead of string to secure the circle, too. 

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note!